Friday, December 25, 2009

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions

I downloaded the DVD with Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions which contain Visual C#, Visual Basic, Visual C++, Visual Web Developer. Why? From two reasons:

  • Because many time when you find an interesting open source project you need one of these tools (VC++ more than the others);
  • Because Embarcaderro don't offer anymore Turbo products for free: Turbo Delphi, Turbo C++. I was fast enough to register my Turbo Delphi but not fast enough for Turbo C++ :( .

So now I have them and the starting program looks like this:

Anyway, I like to program in Linux more than on any other operating system. But when you want your program to be available for others, you must think at multiplatform development. So, I made another DVD with all tools available for the three main platforms, Linux, Windows, Mac. : Lazarus, Qt Creator with Qt libraries 4.6.0, Open Watcom (Not Mac but OS/2), Python with wxWindows 2.8 and Qt graphical interfaces.

Personally, I consider Qt libraries as the best libraries ever created. I wanted to buy them but was too expensive for me. Fortunately, Nokia made them available for free. Thank you Nokia!